The Elecroencephalographic Study Findings in Patients with Migraine without Aura
Kirkuk Journal of Medical Sciences,
2020, Volume 8, Issue 1, Pages 95-97
AbstractBackground: There are different EEG findings in patients with migraine without aura, but still the majority of patients have normal EEG recordings. Aim of the study: To evaluate EEG abnormalities in patients with migraine without aura. Methods: Thirty patients with common migraine are evaluated by EEG test. Age of patients rage from 18-45 years, eighteen of them was females and twelve were males. EEG was performed during headache and as soon as possible after attacks of headache. Results: Out of the 30 patients who are studied, only 6(20%) show EEG changes, 4 females and 2 males, while the rest 24(80%) migraineurs had normal EEG. Of the 6 patients with EEG changes, 3 have left sided headache, 2 right sided headache and one bilateral headache. The EEG findings was slow waves in 4 patients (50%), sharp waves in 3 patients (37.5%), and spike in one patient (12.5%). The sites of EEG changes were 4 in frontal area, 3 in occipital area and 2 in temporal area. Bilateral EEG changes present in all 6 patients. Conclusion: Our study shows significant EEG abnormalities in a good proportion of patients with migraine without aura, but these findings are not specific and cannot replace clinical and neurologic diagnosis.
- Article View: 26
- PDF Download: 28