Evaluation of maternal serum homocysteine in pre eclampsia
Background: Pre-eclampsia affects about 2–8% of all pregnancies. It is one of the leading causes of maternal and perinatal morbidity and mortality hyperhomocysteinemia is considered as a risk factor for endothelial dysfunction and vascular disease. The vascular changes induced by homocysteine are similar to those with pre-eclampsia.
Aim of study: To identify the relationship between maternal serum homocysteine and pre-eclampsia.
Methods: A case control study t carried out in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Azadi Teaching Hospital in Kirkuk-Iraq, from 1st of Feb. till 1st of oct.. 2021. included 80 pregnant women, singleton viable pregnancy, gestational age of > 20 weeks. divided into two groups: Case group included 40 pregnant who had diagnosed as preeclampsia (mild and severe) and control group included 40 healthy normotensive pregnant Patients with multiple pregnancy, history of medical disease or tacking treatment for hypertension were excluded. Blood sample was taken from each woman for biochemical study, serum homocysteine level was measured using ELISA technique.
Results: In this study, pregnant women with pre-eclampsia had significantly higher mean of serum homocysteine compared with controls. Homocysteine level > 8.95 μmol/l is a predictor for pre-eclampsia. Out of 40 women with pre-eclampsia, 42.5% were mild; while the remaining 57.5% were severe. Pregnant women with severe pre-eclampsia had significantly higher mean of serum homocysteine compared to those with mild pre-eclampsia.
Conclusion: Maternal serum homocysteine biomarker represents an early non-invasive marker for diagnosis of preeclampsia and to name disease according to the severity.
- Article View: 15
- PDF Download: 0